What are national guidelines?
National guidelines are recommendations for the provincial and territorial engineering regulatory bodies and the public on:
- professional requirements
- programs for members of the provincial and territorial engineering regulatory bodies
- assessment tools for international graduates
Why do national guidelines exist?
- To help the provincial and territorial engineering regulatory bodies use consistent practices
- To provide information to the public on aspects of the engineering profession
- To assist individuals practising engineering
- Site Remediation (currently under review)
- National model guide: Principles of climate change adaptation for professional engineers
- Guideline on Admission to the Practice of Engineering in Canada (currently under review)
- National guideline for the engineer-in-training program
- National guideline on the professional practice examination
- National guideline on continuing professional development and continuing competence for professional engineers
- National guideline on environment and sustainability
- National guideline on the code of ethics
- National guideline on the practice of engineering in Canada
- National guideline on good character
- National guideline on mentoring programs
- National guideline on assuming responsibility for the work of engineers-in-training
- National guideline on assessing engineering work experience
Engineers Canada’s national guidelines were developed in collaboration with the provincial and territorial engineering regulatory bodies. They are guidelines, not regulations. Each engineer regulatory body sets its own rules and regulations, which vary from one province or territory to another.
In Canada, professional engineering is regulated under provincial and territorial law by the engineering regulatory bodies. Engineers Canada has no authority over these associations. For the specific rules and regulations that apply to you, contact the engineering regulatory body in the province or territory where you plan to work.